Dr Chew Esyin
School of Information Technology
Dr Chew is an Adjunct Senior Lecturer in the School of Information Technology, Monash University Malaysia. While in Monash, she was a Senior Lecturer and Coordinator for Master in Business Information System. Before joining Monash, she was an independent academic consultant and a Senior Lecturer in Technology enhanced Learning, Teaching and Assessment, University of South Wales, UK.
She was an e-commerce and e-learning consultant for a commercial company when she served in South Wales and was a lecturer in the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University of Malaya before pursuing her PhD in South Wales. Prior to her academic career, Dr Chew was a software engineer in Acer Malaysia and e-Business Ltd.
Dr Chew is a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy and the project leader for the below funded research:
- Monash Malaysia School of IT funded Project: Tomorrow's Technology for Seamless Assessment and Feedback Innovation in Higher Education and Healthcare.
- Monash Malaysia Advanced Engineering Platform VITAL funded projects: (1)The Next Wave of Learning with Humanoid NAO Robot; (2) Innovation in Healthcare starts with OK Glass (2015-2016)
- EU Connect2SEA funded Cooperation Grant: The 1st Panel Workshop: iCONNECT for EU-SEA e-Plagiarism Battle
- Minstry of Higher Education Malaysia FRGS funded project: Pedagogy for Electronics and Electrical Engineering Education in Malaysia in the 21st Century (2015)
- Monash Australia PVC's Office Better Teaching Better Learning Small Grant: Sounds Good or Reads Well? Enhancing Assessment and Feedback Experience with Audio and Text Feedback (2014-2015)
- iParadigms Europe funded research: Turnitin in Malaysia (2012)
- UK Higher Education Academy (HEA) Economics Network funded project: Enhancing international student experience with innovative assessment and feedback on postgraduate Economics studies at Glamorgan (2010 – 2011)
- iParadigms Europe funded project: PeerMark Project (2011)
- UK HEA-ELESIG small grant and Research Assessment Exercise Grant: iLExSIG – International Learners’ Experiences of e-learning Special Interest Group (2009 – 2011)
- TurnitinUK (nLearning Ltd.) and Sandpit Education Research Grant: Turn it in or Turn it off? A Collaborative Pilot Project for Turnitin/Grademark Experience (2009 - 2010)
- Research Assessment Exercise Grant: The Exploration of the Innovative Online Assessment Feedback - Audio or Written Text? (2009 - 2010)
- Research vote from the Ministry of Education, Malaysia: Biometric Authentication for E-Commerce. (2005)
Dr Chew has passionate in research and has published journal articles, book chapters and conference papers in related research area. She is also an active reviewer for ISI and Scopus indexed journals and international conferences. She is an Academic Consultant for funded research, invited speaker for Personal Response System training, Turnitin and GradeMark workshops, blended learning conferences and symposium and also a member of Plagiarism Advice Academic Network (iParadigms Europe Ltd., Turnitin UK), e-Assessment Association UK, e-Learners Experience Special Interest Group (ELESIG), and British Educational Research Association (BERA) (2013).
Dr Chew also supervises postgraduates and undergraduates for their research and academic writing.
She is also interested in community work, various musical instruments, reading, badminton and having fun with two daughters.
- Ph.D in Blended Learning, University of South Wales (UK)
- MSc (Hons) in Computer Science, University of Malaya (Malaysia)
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science, University of Hertfordshire (UK)
- FIT5120 - Industry experience studio project
- FIT9123 - Introduction to business information systems
- FIT9130 - Systems analysis and design
- FIT3136 - IT Governance
- FIT3036 - Final year project coordination & supervising
- ENG1003 - Mobile Apps for Engineering
- Humanoid Robot with Interactive Engagement and Learning Analytics
- Wearable Technology in Healthcare and Higher Education
- Seamless Technology Enhanced Learning and Assessment (STELA): Turnitin GradeMark, Personal Response System and web 2.0 technologies
- Blended learning / E-Learning framework and implementation for higher education / hospitals / other organisations
- Expert System with Case-based Reasoning
Book Chapters, ISI-Indexed Journal Articles and LNCS Book Series
- Chew, E., Teo, B. G., Lee, P. L. & Ho, W. H. (under review) Wearable Technology for Healthcare Innovation.
- Wong, N. W. H., Chew, E. & Wong, J. S. M. (under review) A systematic review on the technological and pedagogical integration of robots in classrooms.
- Chua, X. N. & Chew, E. (under review) Intelligent Robot for Kid’s Learning Chinese.
- Chew, E., Khan, U. S., Chua, X. N., Lee, P. H. & Raju, D. S. (under review) Robot Activist for the Introduction to Suhakam.
- Jones, J. N. L. & Chew, E. (under review) ‘Flipping or Flapping?’ Investigating Engineering students’ experience with flipped lectures.
- Chew, E., Snee, H., Price, T. (2016) Enhancing international postgraduates' learning experience with online peer assessment and feedback innovation, Journal of Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 53(3), 247-259 [ISI-indexed]
- Hiew & Chew (2016) Seams Remain in Seamless Learning, On the Horizon, 24(2). [Scopus-indexed, A+ Education, Australian Education Index, and MyRA cited]
- Chew, E., Ding, S., L., Rowell, G. (2015) Changing Attitudes in learning and assessment: Cast-off ‘plagiarism detection’ and cast-on self-service assessment for learning, Journal of Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 52(5), 454-463. Published online 2 Sept 2013 at DOI:10.1080/14703297.2013.832633 [ISI-indexed]
- Chew, E., Ding, S. L. (2014) The Zone of Proximal and Distal Development of the Chinese Language Studies with the Use of Wikis, Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 30(2), 184-201. [ISI-indexed]
- Jones, N., Chew, E. and Blackey, H. (2014) ‘A Classroom without Wall?’ The Institutional Policy for Social Software in Learning, Teaching and Assessment, International Journal of Innovation and Learning, 16(4), 417-427. DOI: 10.1504/IJIL.2014.065546 [Scopus and British Education indexed]
- Chew, E. (2014) ‘To listen or to read?’ - audio or written assessment feedback for international students in the UK, On the Horizon, 22(2), 1-12. DOI: 10.1108/OTH-07-2013-0026 [Scopus-indexed, A+ Education, Australian Education Index,Emerald EarlyCite-indexed]
- Jones, N. and Chew, E. (2012) ‘Social Software for Learning – The Institutional Policy of the University of Glamorgan’, Hybrid Learning and Education, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 7411, 1-8. [ISI-indexed]
- Jones, N.Chew, E., and Blackey, H. (2011) The Blended Learning Journey of the University of Glamorgan, In R. Kwan et al. (Eds.), Hybrid Learning, Springer, Heidelberg, LNCS 6837, pp. 157--166. [ISI-indexed]
- Jones, N., Blackey, H., Fitzgibbon, F., Chew, E., (2010) ‘Get out of MySpace!’, Elsevier Journal of Computers and Education, 54 (3), 776-782. [ISI-indexed]
- Chew, E., Jones, N and Blackey, H. (2010) ‘Implementing Institutional Online Assessment – Addressing the Challenges’, In P. Tsang, S. K. S. Cheung, V. S. K., Lee, R. Huang (Eds), Hybrid Learning, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol. 6248, 453-464. [ISI-indexed]
- Chew, E., Turner, D. and Jones, N. (2009) Chapter 1 - ‘In Love and War: Blended Learning Theories for Computer Scientists and Educationists’, In Wang, F., L. Fong, J. and Kwan, R., C. (Eds), The Handbook for Hybrid Learning Models: Advanced Tools, Technologies and Applications, PA: Information Science Reference, pp.1-23.
- Chew, E. and Jones, N. (2009) Chapter 5 - ‘Driver or Drifter? Case Studies of the Blended Learning Practices in Higher Education’, In Wang, F., L. Fong, J. and Kwan, R., C. (Eds), The Handbook for Hybrid Learning Models: Advanced Tools, Technologies and Applications, PA: Information Science Reference, pp.71-93.
- Jones, N., Chew, E., Jones, C. and Lau, A. (2009) ‘Over the worst or at the eye of the storm?’ The Journal of Education and Training, 51(1), 6-22. [Emerald EarlyCite-indexed, Australian Education Indexed, Scopus-indexed ]
- Chew, E. (2008) ‘Book Review: Preparing for Blended e-Learning: Understanding Blended and Online Learning by Littlejohn and Pegler’, The Journal of the World Education: New Era. [ISI-indexed]
- Chew, E. (2008) ‘Book Review for Blended Learning: tools for teaching and training by Barbara Allan’, Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 11(2) 344-347. [ISI-indexed]
- Chew, E. and Jones, N. (2009) ‘The “E”-vangelist’s Plan of Action – Exemplars of the UK Universities’ Strategies for Blended Learning’, Hybrid Learning and Education, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: Lecture Notes in Computer Science 378-389. [ISI-indexed].
- Chew, E., Jones, N. and Turner, D. (2008) ‘Critical Review of the Blended Learning Models based on Maslow’s and Vygotsky’s Educational Theory’, In Fong, J. et al. (Eds), Hybrid Learning and Education, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5169, 40-53. [ISI-indexed].
- Chew, E., Jones, N. and Turner, D. (2008) ‘The Marriage of Rousseau and Blended Learning: An Investigation of 3 Higher Educational Institutions' Praxis’, In Leung, H. et al. (Eds), Advances in Web Based Learning, Springer: Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4823, 641-652. [ISI-indexed].
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Chew, E., Lee, P. L. & Ho, W. H. (under review) Enhancing Seamless Nurses-Physician Communication After-Hours: The Design of the Care4Patience with Glass.
- Chew, E., Jaenal, J., Teo, B. G. & Jones, J. N. L. (under review) Wearable Technology for Education Innovation.
- Chua, X.N. & Chew. E. (2015). The Next Wave of Learning with Humanoid Robot: Learning Innovation Design starts with “Hello NAO”. In T. Reiners, B.R. von Konsky, D. Gibson, V. Chang, L. Irving, & K. Clarke (Eds.), Globally connected, digitally enabled. Proceedings Ascilite 2015 in Perth (pp. CP:52- CP:56).
- Teo, Y. Z. & Chew, E. (2015) A Mobile Personal Response for Assessment and Feedback in Computing and Engineering Education, Global Conference Teaching and Learning with Technology, 10-11 June 2015, Singapore. (ISBN: 978-981-09-5764-3)
- Hiew, F. C & Chew, E. (2015) Seamless learning: what seam is between the educators and students? 3rd Global Summit on Education 2015: Trends and Challenges in Eduaction, 9 - 10 March, Kuala Lumpur. (e-ISBN: 978-967-0792-01-9)
- Chew, E. & Lim, J. N. (2015) Better Teaching and Better Learning at Monash: Transforming Assessment and Feedback Practice, International Conference: Assessment for Learning in Higher Education 2015, The University of Hong Kong, 13-15 May, 2015. pp. 143.
- Chew, E. (2014). BYOD – Enhancing Learning, Teaching, Assessment and Feedback Experience with Innovative Mobile Apps, The 3rd Hong Kong International Conference on Education, Psychology and Society, Hong Kong, 29-31 December 2014, pp.694-702.
- Lim, J. N. & Chew, E. (2014) Blended Learning in Engineering Education: Curriculum Redesign and Development, The 4th International Conference on e-Learning and Knowledge Management Technology, Springer Conference Proceeding, Nov.
- Chew, E., Abdullah, Y., Pui, K.M., Mohamed, O.M.T. & Cheon, X.Y. (2014) Towards the Impact to the Community – Higher Education and Industrial Engagement for Mobile Application Development, Teshhi Conference eProceedings, Langkawi, 5-6 Novemver 2014. pp.1204-1211.
- Chew, E. & Kalavally (2014) Learning and Teaching Innovation in School of Engineering and School of Information Technology, Celebrating Innvative Learning Practices: Opportunity for Community Engagement and Collaboration, Monash University, 29 October 2014.
- Chew, E. (2013) Blended Learning - an Extension or Disruption for Academics, UCSI 2nd Blended Learning Symposium, 28th November 2013. (Invited guest speaker)
- Chew, E. and Ding, S. L. (2013) Assessment and Feedback Innovation for Language Studies in a Malaysian University, British Educational Research Association (BERA) Conference, 3-5 September, 2013, University of Sussex, UK.
- Chew, E. and Ding, S. L. (2012) Turnitin in Malaysia, 5th Plagiarism Conference, Newcastle, UK.
- Chew, E. (2012) The TEL Story at Glamorgan - Implementing Institutional Enhancement, 2012 Elsin Conference 26-28 June, 2012, Cardiff, UK.
- Chew, E., Snee, H. (2011) ‘Enhancing international student experience with innovative assessment and feedback system – Grademark and Peermark’, The Sixth International Developments in Economics Education Conference (DEE), 6-7 September, 2011, London School of Economics.
- Chew, E. and Snee, H. (2011) ‘Innovative Online Assessment Feedback – Audio Or Written Text For International Students’, Proceeding of the IADIS International Conference e-Learning, 20-23 July, 2011, Rome.
- Chew, E. and Snee, H (2011) Enhancing international student experience with innovative assessment and feedback (EiSEAF) with Vygotsky's ZPD, The CAL Conference 2011 – Learning Futures: Education, Technology & Sustainability, 13-15 April. 20011, Manchester, UK.
- Chew, E. and Lau, A. (2011) "A different voice?" -International learners' experiences of e-learning, The CAL Conference 2011 – Learning Futures: Education, Technology & Sustainability, 13-15 April. 20011, Manchester, UK.
- Price, T., Chew, E., Woodward, S (2011) ‘From Innovation to Institutional Enhancement: Operating in Challenging Times – Glamorgan’s Web 2.0 Story, International Blended Learning Conference 2011, 15-16 June, 2011, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield.
- Chew, E., Price, R., Roger, C., Blakey, K., N., Noblett, Matins, A., Martins, I. (2010) ‘Turn it in or Turn it off – Confirming and Disconfirming Experience for Innovative Computer aided Assessment and Feedback’, Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on e-Learning, Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto, 4-5 November 2010, Portugal, pp.155-162. [ISI-index, ERIC & etc.]
- Chew, E., Price, T. (2010) ‘Online Originality Checking and Online Assessment - an Extension of Academics or Disruption for Academics’, In S. L. Wong et al. (Eds.) (2010). Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computers in Education, 29 November-3 December 2010. Putrajaya, Malaysia: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education.
- Chew, E. and Blackey, H. (2010) e-Plagiarism Detection at Glamorgan, Proceedings for the International Conference on Computer, Electrical, Systems Science and Engineering, 28-30 September, Amsterdam.
- Chew, E. and Jones, N. (2007) ‘The Marriage of Freire and Bloom: An Assessment Prototype for Pedagogy of the Oppressed and Higher Order Thinking’, Loughborough University: Proceedings of the 11th International Computer Assisted Assessment (CAA) Conference: Research into E-Assessment, 10-11th July, 117-125.
- Chew E., Jones N. and Blackey, H. (2009). A UK case-study – technology enhances educational experiences in the University of Glamorgan. IEEE International Conference on Future Computer and Communication, 3-5 April, Kuala Lumpur (IEEE no. 09PR3591, ISBN 978-1-4244-3754-2) .
- Chew, E. and Jones, N. (2006) ‘Generic Model of Computation for Intelligent Computer-aided Assessment Progress (iCAP)’, Loughborough University: Proceedings of the Tenth International Computer Assisted Assessment (CAA) Conference, 4-5th July, 107-121.
- Chew, E., Jones, N. and Blackey, H. (2006) ‘An institutional Wide Strategy for Blended Learning – Initial Feedback’, Proceedings of the First Annual Blended Learning Conference: Blended Learning Promoting Dialogue in Innovation and Practice. Hatfield: University of Hertfordshire Press.
- Chew Esyin, (2005) ‘Mutually-Beneficial iE-E Seeker, A Web Intelligent Matching Using Multi-Dimensional Case-Based Reasoning’, Proceeding of The IEEE International Conference on Information Technology and Applications, Sydney, 425-428. [ISI-indexed]
- Chew Esyin and S.M.F.D Syed Mustapha (2004), ‘Negotiation in a Multi-Dimensional CBR System’ Proceeding of The IEEE Conference on Cybernetic and Intelligent Systems, Singapore, 1191-1195. [ISI-indexed]
- Esyin, C. (2004), ‘An Exploratory B2C Framework for Electronic Bill Presentment and Payment model in E-Business: the Malaysian Case’, The 2004 International Business Information Management Conference - Information Technology & Organizations in the 21st Century at Jordan, Amman, 373-376.
- Esyin, C. and S.M.F.D Syed Mustapha (2004), ‘Modeling N-Dimensional Cases in Iterative Matching Environment’, Proceedings of the Joint International Conference on Informatics and Research Women in ICT, Vol 1, Kuala Lumpur, 61-69.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Coordinator of Master in Business Information System
- Senior Lecturer, School of IT
- Better Teaching Better Learning Coordinator, School of IT
- Senior Lecturer, University of South Wales, UK.
- Academic consultant
- E-Learning and e-commerce consultant
- Lecturer, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- System Engineer, Acer Malaysia
- Software Engineer, e-Business Sdn Bhd
- Reviewer for the ISI-indexed journals, international and national conferences.
- Invited speaker / trainer / consultant for Personal Response Systems, Turnitin and GradeMark workshops.
- Teaching Awards: Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University Australia.
- Bronze prize in the Teaching Aid Competition: The use of BYOD with Socrative and Clickers.
- Innovation of Healthcare starts from “OK Glass” - Google Glass (Bronze Prize winner at Invention, Innovation and Design Competition 2015
- Returning Expert Programme, Talent Corporation Malaysia (2014-2015).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, United Kingdom (since March 2011).
- Best Poster Presentation, Elsevier’s Computer-Aided Learning Conference 2011, UK.
- Gold Medal awards in University of Malaya, Research, Design and Innovation Expo, 2006 – Mutually-Beneficial iE-E Seeker, A Web Intelligent Matching Using Multi- Dimensional Case-Based Reasoning.
- Silver Medal Awards in University of Malaya: 100 years Research, Design and Innovation Expo, 2005 - Easy Voice Authentication System v.10, Biometric Authentication for e-Commerce.
- Best Lecturer Awards in the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University Malaya (2003-2005).
- PhD Studentship, University of South Wales – full scholarship to pursue doctoral degree (2006 – 2008).
- Tutorship, University of Malaya – full scholarship to pursue Master degree (2001- 2002).